In order to run an FE simulation it is necessary to specify three types of input:
- The geometry of the part
- The load and boundary conditions
- The material behaviors
Often the most difficult of these is the specification of the material behavior, especially for highly non-linear materials such as polymers.
The specification of a material behavior requires a suitable material model calibrated using the right type of accurate experimental data.
Getting the right type of experimental data that is relevant, accurate, and completely specifies the material response is a necessary input to the material model calibration. It is not trivial to determine what experiments should be performed, and it is not trivial to run the experiments in a proper way. In our test lab at Veryst Engineering we have developed “smart” testing programs for all types of engineering polymers (elastomers, thermoplastics, and thermosets). These testing programs are unique in that they obtain the necessary information for advanced material model calibration using a small set of experimental tests.
Material Model Calibration
Working with any material model requires determining appropriate material parameters from experimental data. This can be challenging when the advanced material model is non-linear. To facilitate the parameter extraction, Veryst Engineering has developed MCalibration. This software application enables semi-automatic extraction of pertinent material parameters from experimental data. The MCalibration application is provided with the PolyUMod user-material libraries, but is also commercially available through a stand-alone license. Contact us if you would like a quotation for the software.
The MCalibration application can extract the material parameters for all native material models in Abaqus and ANSYS, and all material models in the PolyUMod library.
The following are some of the key features of MCalibration:
- Available for both Windows and Linux computers.
- Can extract material parameters for the all material models in the PolyUMod library. The PolyUMod library is available for Abaqus/Standard, Abaqus/Explicit, ANSYS, LS-DYNA, MSC.Marc, and COMSOL Multiphysics.
- Can extract the material parameters for many common hyperelastic and metal plasticity models.
- Can extract the material parameters for all native material models in Abaqus and ANSYS.
- The optimal set of material parameters can be exported into text files that can be directly read by Abaqus, ANSYS, and LS-DYNA.
- The parameter extraction is more powerful than the built-in features of Abaqus and ANSYS in that it allows for multiple experimental tests with different weight functions.
- Can calibrate viscoelastic, viscoplastic, and anistropic material models.
- Can quickly check the stability of any supported material model.
- Can perform virtual experiments in different loading modes, and different stress or strain histories.
- The calibration can be performed on a subset of the material parameters, and parameters can have upper and lower bounds.
- Most material models can be calibrated without any call to Abaqus or ANSYS. MCalibration does not require that a FE program is installed on the computer.
Additional information and numerous tutorials are available on PolymerFEM.com.
Our training classes cover the details of experimental testing techniques and experimental test program design. The following links provide more information about our upcoming training classes: Veryst, PolymerFEM.
Veryst Engineering Testing Services
Our testing lab at Veryst Engineering also performs experimental testing and material model calibration services for all industries. Please send us a message if you would like to get a custom testing quotation.